The documented history of Tallinn’s Jewish community dates back to the mid-19th century, when Imperial Russian Army soldiers of Jewish descent were brought to serve time in the capital of the then Estonian Governorate. A burial society, chevra kadisha, which plays an important role in Jewish culture, was created in Tallinn in 1856. A synagogue building, the centre of Jewish religion, on the other hand was not built until 1885. Unfortunately, it was destroyed during the dark turmoil of the Second World War and for a long time Tallinn was one of the few capitals in Europe that did not have a synagogue.
The new synagogue, which opened in Tallinn in 2007, and was designed by KOKO, is located walking distance from the city centre on a quiet side street. The building takes Jewish religious traditions and details into account but does not hold on to the historic examples in architecture. The barrel vault form combines the rooms of religious and secular functions into a whole.