Tallinn Creative Hub and The Estonian Museum of Contemporary Art

View Guided Tours

Architect

Kavakava Architects

Project team

Katrin Koov, Kadri Klementi, Andro Mänd, Sten–Mark Mändmaa, Ragnar Põllukivi, Triin Maripuu, Ivan Sergejev, Elen Paddar, Martin J. Navarro Gonzalez

Competition & awards

Open, 2009, 1st Prize

Location

Põhja puiestee 27a, 10415 Tallinn

Size

11,200 m2

Status

Completed 2016

Client

SA Kultuurikatel

Photos

Tõnu Tunnel

Typology

Culture, Refurbishment, Historic, Interior Design, Public

Tags

Public, Habrour area, Refurbishment, Cultural, Interior, Commercial, Historical, Event center, Exhibition center, Visitor center, Culture center, Office building, Educational, Office, Tallinn

Culture Cauldron (is a former power plant, located in Tallinn between the Old Town and the sea. The project focuses on simple principles of spatial organization to meet the needs of creative users. The key of the project is openness.

Tallinn Electricity Plant was established in 1912 as the successor to a former gas factory. The impressive boiler house was built in 1934, and the landmark chimney after World War II. The plant operated until the 1990’s.

In 2007 the powerplant was taken under heritage protection and in 2009 an architectural competition was held to find the architectural solution for the renovation works. The tight budget was a real challenge – any intervention has to be precise and to the point. Renovation Works started in 2011 and were completed in 2016.

With the renovation works the powerplant was turned into a universal event and creative center. It houses different cultural organizations and companies in addition to different halls for performing and rehearsal, club spaces and studios, all integrated with a continuous common space enabling all kinds of possibilities.

In the new architectural solution, the main aim of the architects was to preserve as much of the historical industrial environment and use it to create the new spatial division that corresponds to the new needs. One part of this was finding new uses for the old infrastructure – for instances the entrance corridors are the historical smoke ways between the cauldrons and the chimney. Similar new uses can be found all over the complex. The architects took the position where they can be considered the finders of inherent values of the space.

Materials are used according to the initial architecture. Replacements and new additions are done in a sensitive way and surfaces are left unpolished as it was in original state.