The salt storage was part of the Rotermann district – an industrial complex that included a department store, food-processing plants, and workshops for treating wood. The complex began as a trading business in the 1830s with factories soon to follow, and belonged to the Rotermann family for several generations. After years of abandonment, the Rottermann Salt Strorage, built in 1908, was opened in 1996 as the Museum of Estonian Architecture. The museum has concentrated on research of 20th century Estonian architecture, which is presented at the permanent and temporary exhibitions. Since 2015, the installation by the winner of the urban installation competition of the Tallinn Architecture Biennale has been standing in front of the house. It is changed biennially.